Monday, July 1, 2013

Safari Adventures

I made it back to Rabat from the Sahara desert in one piece!
Our long weekend excursion began with a stop in the south of Morocco to see and feed some wild monkeys. (I've posted a picture).
We spent Friday night in Midelt, at a hotel in the middle of the desert town. I was expecting a shack on the side of the road, so I was so excited to see the full showers, outdoor pool, and cozy rooms.
Saturday was a long, unbearably hot day driving to the actual desert in a cramped bus with airconditioning malfunctions. Whenever we were driving through the mountains the bus would overheat and the airconditioning would stop working...and opening the windows did nothing as it was 90 degree air. We drove across the outer part of the desert to our campsite, where we each packed a bag for the night and hopped on the camels to travel over many sand dunes to our tents.
As soon as we saw the stars at night from the highest sand dune, there was no way that we would choose to suffer by sleeping inside the heat of the tents. After dancing around a campfire with our fellow slovenians who were camping beside us, we pulled blankets out on the sand to sleep.
All I can say is that the last thing I was expecting at that moment was a thunderstorm. The desert people that cooked our food and took us into the desert told us that it only rains about 30 times a year. I felt sorry for the desert cats as we booked it to our tents. Sand was blowing everywhere and lightning lit up the entire desert sky.
We prepared for a disgusting wet camel ride in the morning.


As for now, I'm back at school. Classes are a bit of a struggle because I'm trying to learn two things at once: Fusha, which is MSA (modern standard arabic) and Darija, the local dialect.