Wednesday, July 10, 2013

مدرسةMadrasa! School)

Not really sure why there's an exclamation point there. School is school. Except this school is different.
As I said before, I'm studying at Qalam wa Lawh Center for Arabic Studies.

It's a beautiful school, and it usually stays cool in the heat.  (Except of course in the one classroom that I study in, where the AC is broken). Nonetheless, the school is in a part of Rabat called Suissi and it's sort-of far from where I live (the old Medina) and the beach. Each morning my neighbor drives me and 3 of my friends to school in a "grand taxi"- about a 20 minute ride. When we leave school, usually we split our different ways in "petit taxis" or we walk to a tram stop. If I take the tram home, I have a twenty minute walk through the market after the tram ride. Depending on the day, the market may be extremely busy and I end up just pushing my way through. I never walk at night alone.

As far as I know, at school, the group that I am with are the youngest students here. All of us are either rising seniors in high school or beginning college this fall. All the other students at Qalam are university students or older. I've met people from America, Germany, England, France, Italy, Spain, and Norway.  A lot of them are paying tuition and studying here on their own, for 4 week sessions during the summer. Our teachers are from Rabat.
We can also get a tutor here if we need help. I'm thinking it's time for me to hit that up.

Qalam also organizes excursions for us, usually 2 afternoons each week. Usually they have some sort of cultural significance, but last week we went paintballing.